Freshly-cut Cucumber

As I was cutting some cucumber for a salad I was thinking of Mumbai. It was this one particularly hot day summer day in  Mumbai and the heatwave had left us sweating and parched in the Crawford market area. I was in no mood for a heavy although heat-soothing falooda of the famous Badshah cold drinks.

Squinting around in the blinding sun I spotted it. Plump little cucumbers in the lightest shade of green were sliced into four vertical strips. And its water filled goodness was glistening in the sunlight almost pulling me towards it. The old man behind the small cart with a tattered umbrella as a guard against the sun smiled as I almost jogged across the road. It was a slice of heaven. Delish! I call these moments of happiness simple pleasures of my life. And of course it has to be related to food because it is me!

That day is still so clear as I am currently chopping cucumber in an apartment with heating on it is almost  ironic! As I popped one of the chopped pieces in my mouth I realized it didn't taste half as nice and satisfying as the Crawford market one. Mumbai meri jaan.


Comments

Popular Posts