Kathak

Kathak by Parinita
Kathak, a photo by Parinita on Flickr.
Very few people know my love for dance, especially Indian classical dances. Well, until now at least :). Kathak is one of the several traditional dance forms of India hailing from the northern states. It is narration of a Katha or story in a dance. The sound of Ghungroo (bells) tied around the dancer's ankles co-ordinates with the tabla beats of the music. It takes several years to master this art. Someday I shall get there!

For me Kathak is meditation, workout, discipline and a path to keep in touch with my roots. Especially when we do the three step and two step turns in the class, stomping the foot and encircling at a speed of fuzzy happiness, the feeling is simply ecstatic.

Comments

  1. Wow Pari, I certainly knew your love for dance but not for classical art form like Kathak. This is awesome. Hope to see you perform some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday hopefully Ramya. But these lazy bones in me refuse to practice religiously. But I simply love Kathak ya.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts