Diwali is closing in..

The most exciting time of the year is nearing. Out comes the kandil, twinkling lights and diyas. A through cleaning of the house is due this weekend. I remember the cleaning routine Mom used to follow.The first step was making two lists of things to do - one for her (and sometimes us ;) ) and the other for the bai.Clearing cupboards was a chore with two girls buying unecessary piles of clothes. My crazy rasta shopping and Akki's Westside store obsession would mean piles of old clothes, some never worn now reserved for charity. After rearranging the wardrobe space, she would move on to the kitchen shelves. Each shelf would be emptied cleaned and neatly stacked.

Mom, Dad and Akki outside our home in Diwali 2006. See my flower rangoli there? :)
Diwali morning is the most important time at my place. After an oil bath before sunrise we welcome the first rays by lighting diyas and bursting crackers. These sparklers were our favorite. Come evening and we would go down to meet friends and  bring the whole colony down bursting crackers. :) Best memories
The most interesting cleaning process was where we used to help (rarely of course. Our calenders always were full to help poor mommy out :( :D) to wipe down the entire house walls with warm slightly soapy water. The effect is similar to painting walls; and not once but thrice! Starting with soap water, then clean water and lastly dry cloth wipe-down to remove any water marks. When we were a bit lazy she would say 'Goddess Laxmi won't come to any unclean homes during Diwali. So clean clean clean!' I am aiming to do as much as I can. Might dry dust the walls. But sorry Mommy, no soap water on my walls. that is just TOO much work.

I would have started preparations last week, but a sad news of Reenakka's death (which is still shocking :( ) has kept me from doing much. I believe in the religious tradition of a 13-days mourning period during death of a close relative. And it will be only after the period is over I will start cleaning the house and making the sweets.

Comments

  1. Hi Parinita...thank you for commenting on my post...I have been following ur blog too,,,love the way you write...my sister in law has a similar kind of blog...she is pregnant and writes abt her pregnancy..she is a good writer too..you know Parinita you should try out the pav...its super simple and the results very satisfying...let me know if you did and mutton ghassi..wow will go so well with pav..Glad I came across you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Charishma I am honored to have your comment on my post! Seriously. My blog is blessed now! I was telling my cousin Sahanakka only yesterday to check out out your recipes. My ooru is Mangalore and I have always loved our kudla food over anything else I have eaten. My mum like yours is an amazing cook and somehow your blog reminds me of her every time you post any traditional recipe. Staying so far from home I miss her terribly. Anyway thanks for all your efforts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts