Sari love

I love saris. I am very comfortable wearing them and can drape one in minutes. Wish I could wear them often though. If we were in India, I would have worn it once every week no matter how Aunty'ish some might think of it. Here I prefer not to. As the saying goes, 'In Rome, do as the Romans do'. So they are only reserved for the Indian events :(

As my mum would totally agree, I am very very very picky when it comes to buying one. I love Calcutta cottons and Warli tribe motif sarees you get so rarely in regular shops of Mumbai. I basically like the textile woven hand-loomed variety. No heavy Kanjivarams, chiffons and synthetic materials for me. Sorry. I dislike them to the core. And especially back home you need clothes that breathe because of the heat. Cotton and other breathing fabrics are so amazing, but are so rarely taken seriously.

There is one particular designer Rittika Mittal who owns the line of 'Mora' saris. I absolutely love her collection. First spotted my friend Keta wearing one. I fell in love with the fabric. Expensive yes, but for a lot of reasons I am ready to shell out money for the 'designer' price tag of these saris because A) I love them! and B) Each sari is a piece of art, woven by artists from our country who are hidden away in villages, waiting for people like Rittika to discover. So it feels special.

The sari I am ordering for this Diwali from Mora!! So So So excited!!!
Rittika goes directly to the weavers all around India, lives with them, discusses pricing and I trust her when she says she maintains transparency with them.

In her words, "From the mesmerisingly delicate wiles of Naga Eri silk to the intricate playfulness of Maharashtrian Warli, bordered and splashed with the voluptuous bold beauty of Andhra Kalamkari, all of MORA’s textile creations are a jigsaw puzzle of all-natural motifs, colours and textures from the remotest corners of India: a contemporary ode to the magical contradictions and mind-boggling variety of the country’s ancient art." What more do I say.

I am not a charity person. I have contributed only five or ten times to NGOs and that too only because a friend recommended it or there was piggy box at some shop counter. For me buying food, clothes and other goods in my daily life from sources that in a way contribute monetarily to a group of lesser fortunate people than myself, leaves a much better feeling behind. Indirectly paying for a service.

Comments

  1. This is such a beautiful sari! I checked out Mora saris they are gorgeous!! And I am totally for the woven/hand printed/natural fiber saris so glad to have found a good source!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts