A new friend, good food and great music

I must thank foosball for helping me connect to people outside DPReview team at the Amazon office.  Rudy, Abhi, Kintan are few friends I made while playing this very game.

But one particular game of foosball two weeks ago made me come across a wonderful person who is now a dear friend. Deima Elnatour works with the Global Operations team on the third floor and we casually chatted a month ago and decided to play a game of foosball together. So, in midst of our 'best out of 5' match we discovered a whole lot of common likes and interests. We had so much to talk about. About food, music, cultures, life...

Today I spent the evening after work at her place in Upper Queen Anne. After an interesting herbs crusted pita bread as starters, she cooked a really healthy meal of stuffed sea-bass, pan-seared tilapia and sauteed beans. Very little salt and oil and lots of fresh flavors of lemon juice and herbs.

Pan-seared tilapia is quite bland but tastes great if done properly. Cut back on salt and add a squeeze of lemon juice to bring out its flavor
To add more flavor to the fish fillets, Deima topped them with some chopped up tomato and fresh basil.
To add a touch of carbs she diced half a potato into tiny pieces (so that it cooks along with the fish) and cut some tomato, spring onion, cilantro, lemon juice and lemon pieces. Was absolutely delish!
After a yummy and rather quick meal I played some more with her cat Antar while relaxing with some mint tea and her music.

The fur ball Antar is one of the most harmless and naughty cats I have seen. He has a lot of dog-like qualities. Licks you when he is happy, sits near you, rolls on his back for a tummy rub etc. And most interesting feature is he eats fruits! Watermelon being his favorite :)
Deima plays this instrument called Oud which is commonly played in Middle Eastern countries. She composes her own music and also plays popular Arabic songs with her own twist. Her music was so soothing that even her cat went into his rhythmic relaxed mode.

Playing Oud in her favorite place by the window
She also plays on a digital piano which should not be mistaken for digital keyboards. When you hit a note it feels like you are playing a traditional piano. She performed the Für Elise from Beethovan for me and Antar. Frankly, this song didn't mean a lot to me before today. It was one of those instrumental songs in my collection. But after she explained the emotions portrayed through its notes; sadness, happiness, anger, guilt, I started to understand the beauty of the composition. I am listening to it even now while typing this post. Its magical. Listen to it from this point of view and tell me if it works.

This Casio digital piano has most characteristics of a grand piano with a foot pedal and real keyboard feel and sound.
Well, this is what life is for, isn't it? Connecting with people at a level of pure joy. Of learning something new everyday. I love meeting artists. Because most of times they aren't bothered about how your past or present is, or how socially correct or incorrect you are. Every aspect in their world revolves around their art and passion for nurturing it.

I wasn't given much exposure for arts when I was a child. So there was always a void and this yearning to find a way to express myself. I guess that's why photography happened. And making such creative people part of my life helps me fill that void. It simply gets me going!

Thanks Deima for a wonderful evening and here's hoping for many more.

Comments

Popular Posts